SGAB Chair Georgia Meacham convened the advisory board Tuesday to talk about the state of the NAR Community Outreach Grants, the On Common Ground magazine and other related topics to smart growth. The grants have been more successful year after year for local and state associations, enabling REALTORS® to have meaningful engagement with local policymakers in the areas of smart growth, housing opportunity, placemaking, and diversity. A portion of the proposed dues increase is dedicated to funding these grants that are monies going back directly to local and state associations. Personally, I believe this is one of the best local lobbying tools available to our members.
The current On Common Ground magazine is dedicated to fair housing and is a testament to how vital the REALTOR®’s role is in affirmatively promoting fair housing in the communities we serve.
The ten Smart Growth principles are:
- Create a range of employment opportunities.
- Mix land uses.
- Take advantage of compact building design.
- Create walkable neighborhoods and a range of housing opportunities and choices.
- Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of place.
- Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental areas.
- Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities.
- Provide in advance a variety of transportation choices, urban and social infrastructure based on population projections.
- Make development decisions sustainable, predictable, fair, and cost-effective.
- Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions.